question about filtering and subject rewrite

Welcome to MagicSpam Pro for cPanel WHM! A better spam protection in an easy to use cPanel WHM Module. Visit here for support, frequently asked questions, wishlists and discussion groups on this great module to make life with cPanel WHM that much simpler.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

dzamanakos

question about filtering and subject rewrite

Post by dzamanakos » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:20 am

Hi, i started using the plugin for the cpanel and have a question.
In order to not disrupt customer options i enabled the subject rewrite to be the same as previous spamassassin setup ***SPAM***

In my own email account i had a filter setup in cpanel -> email -> manage email account -> filters that moved every email with subject ***SPAM*** to the trash.

After enabling your plugin this filter seems to stopped working as all emails flagged as spam with the subject ***SPAM*** are being delivered to my INBOX.

Is there any other priority that you have to bypass cpanel filters?
How can i (and my users) still have the filters working?

best,

magicspam

Re: question about filtering and subject rewrite

Post by magicspam » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:36 pm

Hello dzamanakos,

Based on our understanding, emails that were flagged as spam by SpamAssassin had their subject rewritten with the ***SPAM*** tag and delivered to the recipient spam folder via an email filter. After installing and configuring MagicSpam such that emails that are flagged as spam (QUARANTINE) also have their subject rewritten with the same ***SPAM*** tag, the email filter no longer works and all emails flagged as spam by either SpamAssassin and MagicSpam are delivered to the recipient inbox. Did we understand you correctly?

We were not able to replicate the reported email filter issue with emails that were flagged as spam by SpamAssassin on our cPanel systems. However, can we ask why you choose to use email filters to deliver these emails to the spam folder instead of the Move New Spam to a Separate Folder (Spam Box) feature? The latter is more common and the recommended method.

Otherwise, we have confirmed that email filters on the ***SPAM*** tag in the Subject header of emails flagged as spam by MagicSpam will not work, as MagicSpam rewrites the subject header after all the email filters have run. However, MagicSpam already has the Deliver to Spam folder quarantine setting, so you should not be using email filters for this.
MagicSpam Admin Panel >> Anti-Spam >> System >> Advanced Options >> Deliver to Spam folder (ON)
Hopefully this information will be helpful to you.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “MagicSpam Pro for WHM/cPanel”