magicSpam stops checking mails from time to time

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

andi

magicSpam stops checking mails from time to time

Post by andi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:28 pm

hello,

i faced allready twice, that magicSpam for plesk (debian 64bit, plesk 9.5.3), but also magicSpam for MailEnable, stoped checking mails without any known reason. state of magicSpam was shown as 'MagicSpam protection is currently ENABLED', but today's statistics were completely empty! in log records, i can see, that last mail has been checked more than 24h ago. after disabling / enabling protection manually, magicSpam started to check mails again:

from log records:
2010-11-17 09:23:02
2010-11-18 23:21:38

thank you for any suggestions,
andi

magicspam

Re: magicSpam stops checking mails from time to time

Post by magicspam » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Could you please clarify - you are seeing issues with MagicSpam stopping operations on BOTH MagicSpam for Plesk as well as MailEnable? Or just MailEnable?

For the MailEnable issue - do you have any kind of cluster synchronization / backup software that may be active on your server? Please note that in order for MagicSpam to operate on that platform it requires that the custom compiled MESMTPC.EXE binary be in place in your installation. We have noted that some cases of synchronization software end up overwriting our replacement binary with the original again.

Thanks!

andi

Post by andi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:11 am

hi,
thank you for reply.

i detected behavior both, on magicSpam for PLESK (linux) and on magicSpam for MailEnable (windows). - right now, i checked the situation once again:

on two magicSpam for PLESK, checking has been stoped two days ago (2010/11/19, one at 10.41AM, 2nd at 11.34PM). i did disable / enable magicSpam within module's interface, now checking seems to work again.

on magicSpam for MailEnable, i was not able to find the behaviour today.

the linux plesk nodes have plesk 9.5.3 installed and are running debian lenny 64bit. - could probabely restarting qmail or anything like that (plesk updates etc.) cause the issue?

regards,
andi

wizard

Post by wizard » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi Andi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Updating your Plesk installation may cause MagicSpam to stop working. Did you purchase through the our store, or through Parallels? If you purchased through our store, is your license key showing up as valid still? Do you have an 'Update Key' button available? If so, what happens when you click that?

Let us know!

chrismcb

Post by chrismcb » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:33 am

Hi, I wanted to add to this thread as I'm having the same issue - I think i've managed to tie it down to disabling when the mail server (postfix for me) is restarted.

It is still showing as "enabled" on the config page - disabling then re-enabling will get it going again.

I have things like watchdog running to make sure processes are always active - if for whatever reason, postfix needs restarted (installing updates, correcting errors) I'm silently loosing spam protection!

Any help would be appreciated.

andi

Post by andi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:05 am

hi,

i purchased licenses 'magicSpam for plesk' at parallel's.
license is shown as valid, but no update button there.

reagards,
andi

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:55 am

Hello all!

Could you please post the version of MagicSpam which you are currently running. Also, please let us know if you have any cluster synchronization / backup software that may be active on your server. We have seen an issue in the past where stopping and starting SMTP services affects the MagicSpam installation, causing it to fail. The only way to correct this is by disabling MagicSpam, then re-enabling it.

Currently, MagicSpam for Mail Enable is installing a modified MESMTPC.EXE binary which allows MagicSpam to hook into Mail Enable's SMTP daemon. For some reason, we have seen that stopping and starting the SMTP service may replace this custom executable. When you disable and re-enable MagicSpam, our executable is copied back into place. We have opened a ticket with MailEnable regarding this.

We have found that some clustering/backup software may restart SMTP services, triggering this issue.

andi

Post by andi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:49 am

hello,

i am using
magicSpam for plesk v1.0.4-9.1
and
magicSpam for mailEnable v1.0.4-9.1

during the last days, i did not face this issue anymore. i will let you know, if it happens again and, probabely, i will be able to detect some 'rules' like 'allways after restarting SMTP' etc. for this behavior.

besides:
i opened new thread about 'sender adress verification (SVA) and valid_from_domain' some days ago, but this thread never has been published. didn't you receive it properly?

regards,
andi

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks Andi. Our forum moderators did not receive any messages related to Sender Address Verification. If you could please try reposting that would be appreciated.

Thanks, and let us know if you do note anything further related to MagicSpam and intermittent stop of functionality.

chrismcb

Post by chrismcb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:12 am

I am using MagicSpam for Plesk (Postfix) v1.0.4-9.1.

I do have backup software, but nothing that touches the mail server.

I don't run any clustering etc.

I too, will keep an eye on it.

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”