Extended Rejection Message Not Issued

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

bcw

Extended Rejection Message Not Issued

Post by bcw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 am

While I have had similar reports before, I finally have a repeatable example of a message being blocked, but the user not receiving the extended rejection message. In this case, list 23 is the source of the block and the following is all that was returned to the sending email server:

Reason: Remote host said: 550 or contact your ISP or mail server operator.

Any test that I can manufacture such as blacklisting a user/IP does generate the expected extended messaged so this is not a general failure.

I have 1.0.4-9 installed.

magicspam

Re: Extended Rejection Message Not Issued

Post by magicspam » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Greetings,

This sounds like a case where the sender's email server is only parsing the last line of the extended rejection notice. MagicSpam operates on a basis of multi-line rejection (which is permitted as per RFC specifications) whereas a series of "550" lines are issued. A proper compliant server should be able to wait for the output stream to complete and deliver up the grouped lines as a single message.

As to the original cause of the message being blocked, we have been receiving an increase of reports of either false positive listings or increased paranoia settings related to list 23. In point of fact, this list is normally turned off in a default MagicSpam installation. As such, you may want to consider turning the list off again in your installation to ensure there are no false positive hits.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”