invalid mailenable user check

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

dwdietz

invalid mailenable user check

Post by dwdietz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:59 pm

First off I am mostly happy since I purchased Magic Spam..

1. I have a question of how magicspam is actually working. I see a ton of messages in the logs that are addressed to no users in my mail enable directory. As far as the initial checks, such as reverse DNS, ip Lists, Etc, does magicspam first check if there is a user in mail enable to discard the message before it goes through the time consuming spam checks? I have noticed huge delays in the inbound messages and I am guessing this is the reason. I am receiving 200,000 a day with only 1000 or so that are legitimate. It is very time consuming with it checking reverse dns, list, etc when there isnt even a valid user in mail enable. I think it should first check the mail enable directory and discard if a user doesn't exist.

2. I receive continuously a time out when searching through logs for a specific address to see if a message was flagged as spam..

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\magicspam\includes\log_output.php on line 6

Thanks

Doug

wizard

Re: invalid mailenable user check

Post by wizard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 am

Unfortunately the hooks that MailEnable provided to us do not do valid user checking prior to passing off to MagicSpam. This is something we are presently working on with MailEnable to resolve but will likely not be available until a later 4.x release of MailEnable.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Out of curiosity what size is the file c:\magicspam\log\mslog growing to?

dwdietz

Post by dwdietz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:24 am

The Logs are at an average of 25-30 mb per day.
I have noticed serious delays with inbound mail since I have installed Magicspam. Sadly i dont even trust email arriving anymore. Sometimes its over 4 hours where it used to be instantaneous. I have disabled any rule that does reverse DNS and enabled all of the IP Reputation rules.

Doug

wizard

Post by wizard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Doug,

For the delayed emails are you able to forward the headers or the entire email as an attachment to support@magicspam.com ?

We'd like to analyze the headers to pinpoint the delay.

Or post the headers to this forum with email addresses etc. anonymized.

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”