MagicSpam stopping by itself - needs manually enabling

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

atomicguava

MagicSpam stopping by itself - needs manually enabling

Post by atomicguava » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 am

I've had an odd problem recently where MagicSpam silently stops working. I get no notifications, the only way I know about it is when my customers call up.

I'm running a Centos 5, Plesk 9.5.2 Qmail server, and have just updated to release 1.0.4-8 (although this happened on 1.0.4-7 too)

I've tried reinstalling the software too, but it makes no difference.

magicspam

Re: MagicSpam stopping by itself - needs manually enabling

Post by magicspam » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am

How often does it stop working? Is it fairly consistent? Also, when you mention reinstalling, are you removing the existing package before you reinstall or are you just installing on top of your existing setup?
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

atomicguava

Post by atomicguava » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 am

It's random, seemingly.

17-20th July - it stopped
25th July - stopped for 1 day only
Nothing since...

The only way I know is the graphic on the dashboard to show spam tagging activity.

I had uninstalled the module in Plesk and then installed it again.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Thank you for letting us know. We will investigate and will get back to you as soon as we have more information.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 pm

The developers investigating this issue were hoping you could provide a little more information.

1) Could you please define "stops working"?

2) Does the module say MagicSpam is disabled, or are the stats just showing no data?

3) What is the result of a telnet to the server on port 25? Does it show the MagicSpam banner? (of course, it will only show this if you haven't modified the banner).

4) Is your license in a state of expiry or pending expiry during these periods?

5) Around those periods of it disabling, did you make any changes to mail server settings in your Plesk Panel?

6) Did you upgrade the plesk packages?

7) Was the entry for magicspam-plesk still in /var/qmail/control/smtpplugins or missing?

We apologize for all the questions, but we want to be thorough in order to ensure we can resolve this issue as soon as possible for you.

atomicguava

Post by atomicguava » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:19 am

Answers to your questions
1. Stops working = zero spam protection, no statistics in the dashboard for that date, magicspam status has switched to 'DISABLED' on its own

2. both

3. Telnet to port 25: Spam Protection provided by MagicSpam www.magicspam.com ESMTP

4. I hadn't checked the license, but this doesn't coincide with my billing cycle (16th of every month)

5. No changes had been made to Plesk at all, no updates applied either in Plesk or using YUM

6. No plesk package updates

7. I hadn't check this file at the time it stopped (didn't know it existed!), but I can see an entry in there today.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:57 pm

We sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to you.

The developers were wondering if you would mind checking the license status, as that may be an indication. In order to do so, please provide us with the output of the following two commands (run back to back):

/usr/share/magicspam/bin/license_manager status
echo $?

You should then receive a number (the return value) which will let us know what is happening with your licensing setup.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the delay.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:37 am

Hello again. The developers have just informed me that there is a potential fix for this issue that should be hitting 'beta' stage this Wednesday, August 18th.

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”