Log History Continues To Grow

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

bcw

Log History Continues To Grow

Post by bcw » Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 pm

I have the number of days to store logs set to the default 7 and my log continues to grow with all days included. What actions can I take to ensure that the log only contains the last 7 days?

When first installed, I enabled MagicSpam for a few days, disabled it, then enabled it once again. I wanted to mention this in the event that this throws more light on the issue.

magicspam

Re: Log History Continues To Grow

Post by magicspam » Thu May 13, 2010 5:49 pm

We are aware of this issue. Our developers are hard at work fixing the cause. So that we can ensure the fix works correctly across all operating systems and versions, could you please provide the following information?

- Operating system, operating system version and whether it's 32 or 64-bit
- MagicSpam version
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

bcw

Post by bcw » Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm

OS is centos-5-x86
MagicSpam is 1.0.4-6

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Fri May 14, 2010 9:25 am

Thank you for providing the additional information.

Our developers appear to be ahead of schedule on this issue! They anticipate that everything will be tested and packaged up early next week.

bcw

Post by bcw » Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 am

I have loaded 1.0.4-6.2 and see that a new log was started and the existing log renamed by appending the number one to the name. The contents of the first log include entries that are older than the number of days I have set to store logs which leaves the question as to whether the first log is removed once all the dates fall outside the days to store range, there are always two logs (i.e., mslog.1 is deleted and mslog renamed), or after the days to store a third log will exist and I must manually remove the old logs if I wish to do so?

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu May 20, 2010 11:26 am

Greetings,

The logs will continue to rotate (mslog.1 renamed to mslog.2 etc.) up to the number of days you have specified to keep.

Unfortunately since the logs were not rotating before, the data already in your oldest log will remain there until such time as either the file is removed or the requisite number of days as specified in your configuration is reached and that subsequent file is removed by the scheduled process.

We hope this information helps.

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”