Postfix / Magicspam Instability

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

transcom

Postfix / Magicspam Instability

Post by transcom » Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 am

Have magic spam installed few a few days now, and there seems to be an instability or a misconfig somewhere. The server is quite new, was fully stable and totally uptodate.

On the second night with magic spam, the postfix service stopped and couldnt be restarted without a reboot.

And on two occasions, Ive seem that the spam count doesnt increase for some time, so its disabled and enabled, all then works ok.

We have an awfull lot of traffice, average of 25000 spams stopped a day, is there any config that we should adjust ?

Thanks
Bill

magicspam

Re: Postfix / Magicspam Instability

Post by magicspam » Thu May 06, 2010 10:10 am

Could you please provide the following information so that we can have a better idea of your setup?

1) Your operating system, 32 or 64-bit
2) Plesk and Postfix versions
3) Your MagicSpam license key (all posts require approval, so we will remove it before the post is viewable)
4) Which rules you have enabled and which are disabled
5) Some sample log entries (if possible) of the errors with Postfix

Once we have the additional information, we should be able to determine what the cause of the issue is.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

transcom

Post by transcom » Fri May 07, 2010 6:13 am

ok, I think Ive found the problem.

If we go into plesk and change the attachment size (postfix), the magic spam counter stops, re enabling on the dashboard restarts it, simulated this several times.

Its not an issue now that we know, apart from that , its fantastic..

You should be aware that we are processing about 80000 spams a day with extreme accuracy, and have actually had many complaints from people that say they arnt receiving any spam !

Can never win with the public !

Cheers
Bill

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Fri May 07, 2010 11:10 am

Thank you for letting us know that the MagicSpam count stops if the attachment size is changed. I'll pass that along to the developers for investigation.

We're glad to hear that you're able to get rid of 80,000 spam messages per day!

peterz

Post by peterz » Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 am

Could you please give a little more detail on what the cause is, and mostly, what your solution is?

I have a Plesk 9.3 VPS running CentOS5 for 64-bit.

I know that MagicSpam is running because i usually get about 3000 to 4000 spams going to the server every day.
A few days ago, the MagicSpam control panel, and the logs, have stopped updating. All stats say '0 messages' and new log files are not created.

I have tried the following:
- changing the number of days to log from 14 back to 7, then back to 14
- disabling, then re-enabling MagicSpam
- via ssh: chmod -R 777 /var/log/MagicSpam
- i also uninstalled MagicSpam, then reinstalled it; the only thing i haven't done is to remove the MagicSpam folder in /etc (this is my next move)

Like transcom, this is not a gigantic problem, but having no logs is problematic because i regularly get requests to check if this or that email was blocked as a false-positive (which is extremely rare, but it's nice to send them proof via the log entry)...

Any help is welcomed!

BTW: it worked for 10 days (i just moved to a new server), then stopped logging and stats; i have it set to retain 14 days of logs.
Thank You!!

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Tue May 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Could you please provide the size of the following file?

/var/log/magicspam/mslog

That should help us determine the cause of the issue. We encounted something similar to this recently - it was related to logrotate. If it ends up being the same issue we're thinking of, there should be a fix out tomorrow that addresses it.

peterz

Post by peterz » Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 am

Could you please provide the size of the following file?

/var/log/magicspam/mslog

That should help us determine the cause of the issue. We encounted something similar to this recently - it was related to logrotate. If it ends up being the same issue we're thinking of, there should be a fix out tomorrow that addresses it.
I apologize, but i erased all MagicSpam files and folders then reinstalled from scratch.

However, i surmise my post above actually had nothing to do with MagicSpam; i'll explain:

As mentioned above, running Plesk 9.3.0 with postfix as the SMTP server, i had disabled plesk9-qmail in the Application Manager but left plesk9-postfix.
At one point, i decided to try re-enabling Qmail to possibly switch to it; but the mere fact of having both plesk9-qmail and plesk9-postfix, while still using postfix as the SMTP server instantly fixed this issue.

My 2 cents is that, even if you're using postfix, you need to have both packages installed for everything to run properly...

I hope this helps..
Thank you again!

EDIT----

PS i think this all has to do with the dependancies below: here's what happens when i try to disable plesk9-qmail:
Can not remove packages: ' vzpkg remove -q 1694416 .plesk9-qmail' exec failed - error: Failed dependencies: psa-qmail is needed by (installed) psa-qmail-rblsmtpd-0.70-cos5.build93091230.06.x86_64 courier-imap >= 3.0.8 is needed by (installed) psa-mail-driver-common-9.3.0-cos5.build93091230.06.x86_64 Error: /usr/lib/rpm/rpmi failed, exitcode=2
Last edited by peterz on Wed May 19, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Wed May 19, 2010 5:21 pm

We're glad to hear you managed to get everything resolved!

Requiring both plesk9-qmail and plesk9-postfix seems like an odd situation, however. I'll pass that information along to the developers for consideration. Thank you for bringing it up!

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”