_spf Records

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

raymondlee

_spf Records

Post by raymondlee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:53 pm

One of my clients uses bigcommerce.com for their shopping cart. April 16th big commerce's smtp servers were black listed on UCEPROTECT-1 (List ID: 4)

smtp.bigcommerce.com
smtp2.bigcommerce.com
smtp3.bigcommerce.com
smtp4.bigcommerce.com

The tech depart at BC said that they were working on it so in the mean time I added there ip addresses to our servers ip whitelist.

The tech said that they are now using _spf.bigcommerce.com which they have added the 4 current ip's to and will be adding new ip's when they expand.

My question is what can I do to add _spf.bigcommerce.com so any future ip's added to BC servers wont be blocked.

Thanks,
Ray

magicspam

Re: _spf Records

Post by magicspam » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:10 pm

White list by SPF.. could get pretty costly in terms of DNS lookups.

At this time there is no mechanism for this, though we do have plans for adding (optional) SPF record checks to MagicSpam in an upcoming version.

More to the point, might we recommend that automatically trusting all of the IP addresses for this company may not be the best of ideas - when they have already had an outbreak of spam? (NOTE: our spam auditors have noted a high blast output of spam from that subnet that has been the cause for a fair bit of grief). If they truly have fixed their situation, and ensure there are no future outbreaks of spam, then their IP reputation should be safe.

On a somewhat related note, there has been a feature request that is currently being developed for supporting 'IP ranges' for the IP Exemption lists, so that might be of aid ...

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”