DNSBLs - custom port?

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

farisr

DNSBLs - custom port?

Post by farisr » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:49 am

We run a number of private DNSBLs that listen on a port other than port 53.

Does MagicSpam allow a port to be specified when adding a custom RBL via the IP reputation page?
If so, what is the syntax? hostname:port ?

If not, please can it be added to the wishlist?

(While I'm here -- the main reason for needing to add a custom RBL is because I cannot blacklist IP ranges in MagicSpam. I often need to blacklist a.b.c.0/24 or even wider sometimes. Blocking them via a firewall is not ideal in my situation. I know this feature has been requested in the past. I'm just adding my voice. Hide it via the "Advanced" tick box if need be to prevent users who don't know what they are doing from blocking too much. But let those of us who are happy to be responsible for our own actions do what we really need to do please! The same goes for wildcard blacklisting recipients and sender addresses, and for whitelisting senders)

magicspam

Re: DNSBLs - custom port?

Post by magicspam » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Hello farisr,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately MagicSpam does not yet allow a function to specify a port when adding custom RBLs. This function is the function of the server DNS lookup - and cannot be controlled in such a manner in MagicSpam.

We have created a ticket for this feature and passed it to our development team for further consideration.

We understand your pain with uncaught spam; our team is currently working on new meanings of fighting this annoying spam outbreaks without the need to blacklist the whole ranges of IPs.

For more information on new MagicSpam releases and other announcements, please follow us on twitter:

@magicspam

Thank you for supporting MagicSpam!
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”