Things that appear odd

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

mattcrane

Things that appear odd

Post by mattcrane » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:38 am

Hi,

I though it may be useful to start a thread where people can ask questions about weirdness that occurs that we don't quite understand.

For example

in the log i can see that ip address is xx.xxx.xx.xxx, the from email is : xxx@mydomain.com , the to address is xxx@mydomain.com

what does is mean when an unknown ip address appears to be sending an email from one of my addresses and sending it to the same address.

example below: These guys are on block list 6

ip: 222.255.201.212:(null) from:matt@d-zined.co.uk to:matt@d-zined.co.uk HELO:abreuimoveis.com.br

magicspam

Re: Things that appear odd

Post by magicspam » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi Matt,

This is a common spammers technique which sometimes allows spam through anti-spam protection which the server may have. The spammer makes a new SMTP connection to your server and they forge the FROM address. In this case, they set it to the TO address. Since you have MagicSpam for Plesk enabled, the connecting IP address was found to be on an enabled blocklist and it was stopped.

On some mail servers, a message with the same FROM address as the destination mailbox will receive a lower "score" so that the message is delivered. The thinking behind this is to ensure that messages which you send to yourself will also make it through - however spammers have used this to their advantage.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”