postmaster@* not being filtered

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

paquito

postmaster@* not being filtered

Post by paquito » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:37 am

Hello,

I have setup mail server in Plesk so certain domains have the postmaster address every message without existent mailname as destination goes to.

The matter is those mailboxes are not protected by the spam filter (neither MagicSpam, nor Spam Assassin, I think).

Have I misconfigured something? Is there any way it can be done?

Thank you

magicspam

Re: postmaster@* not being filtered

Post by magicspam » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 am

Please provide the following information so we can get a better idea of your configuration:

1) Operating system and whether it is 32 or 64 bit
2) Plesk version
3) MagicSpam version
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

paquito

Post by paquito » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Here are my specs:

1) CentOS 5 64-bit
2) Plesk 9.2.2 (considering updating to 9.3)
3) MagicSpam 1.0.4-5

More info (if it helps):

- SpamAssassin 3.2.5
- Full name of downloaded package: magicspam-plesk-1.0.4-5-rhel564-9x.x86_64.rpm

Thanks in advance

PS: Needless to say that, alhtough this issue, we are very happy with this product since we have got rid of almost all the spam.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 am

We're glad to hear that you like the results of MagicSpam!

Sorry, but we need to know a little bit more about your configuration so we can be 100% sure we're testing the right things. Are you using Postfix or Qmail on the backend?

paquito

Post by paquito » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:48 am

We are using qmail through xinetd.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks for getting back to us with that last bit of information.

We have attempted to reproduce the situation you're experiencing, but were unable to. We do, however, have a few things that you may want to try to attempt to resolve the issue you've been having.

- Please double check that you are using the Parallels-supported method for catch-all accounts (Domain/Mail Settings/Forward to address...).
- Try to remove the old catch-all address and then add it again. If you upgraded from a previous version of Plesk with the catch-all in place, there may have been a change in the way that it's done.
- Are the messages that are not being filtered coming from an authenticated account or a trusted network? We recommend not using trusted networks, but rather using SMTP authentication.
- Is MagicSpam enabled on your system? Is your license up to date? Other addresses on the same domain are being protected normally?

paquito

Post by paquito » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:58 am

Sorry for the delay.

- Yes, I'm using the Plesk setting for that.
- I tried but nothing changed.
- I'm not sure about this one. For this account none of the spam is being filtered.
- Yes, MagicSpam is up to date, enabled and keeping spam out of the rest of mailboxes.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Are the messages going to postmaster being forwarded by another account on the server? Or are the messages just being redirected to postmaster when the account can't be found? Do you have any log entries pertaining to this where the postmaster account hasn't been scanned?

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:51 pm

We have not heard anything further from you regarding this issue. Did you manage to get it resolved?

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”