Bulk Whitelisting or Domain wide listing

Help us help you. We all want the product to continually improve, and you the customer can help us with that. Please visit here for ideas about our future roadmaps, schedules etc, and feel free to post your WISHLISTS for our developers and management to read.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

BskBALL

Bulk Whitelisting or Domain wide listing

Post by BskBALL » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:08 am

Is there anyway to "bulk" add e-mail addresses to the white list, or is there are a way to whitelist just the domain...

The tool will not accept *@domain.com

I understand your trying to aggressively filter, however we're losing a lot of mail we want to receive and adding them one by one will be mind numbing.

Other than this issue, love the tool set.

magicspam

Re: Bulk Whitelisting or Domain wide listing

Post by magicspam » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:42 am

The MagicSpam exemption and whitelists currently do not support adding entire domains. This is certainly something which we are considering for a future release. We do have a command line tool available which allows you to add a single entry at a time. You should be able to use this tool to go through a text file with a list of email addresses and add them to the system. Would you like instructions for this tool?
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

BskBALL

Post by BskBALL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Yes please...

BskBALL

Post by BskBALL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:02 pm

You guys should really consider a bulk add tool, where you can paste in a comma separated list of e-mails... Most of the server based tools allow for this.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon May 04, 2009 10:38 am

We have a MagicSpam "list manager" tool available which allows you to manually modify the various MagicSpam exemption and white lists. This tool is called 'magicspam-listmgr' and should be installed in /usr/share/magicspam/bin/. You can run the command like so to retrieve the usage message:

Code: Select all

# /usr/share/magicspam/bin/magicspam-listmgr
FATAL: You must specify one and only one operation.
FATAL: You must specify one and only one list.
Usage: magicspam-listmgr <list> <operation>

Possible <list> values:
   -f  *From* whitelist. (when sender address matches, no checking done)
   -i  *IP* exemption list. (when sending server IP matches, no checking done)
   -u  *User* exemption list. (when recipient matches, no checking done)

Possible <operation> values:
   -a <entry>  Add <entry> to <list>
   -d <entry>  Delete <entry> from <list>
   -l          List entries on <list>
So, as an example, if you wanted to add the IP address 1.2.3.4 to the IP exemption list, you would run the command like so:

Code: Select all

# /usr/share/magicspam/bin/magicspam-listmgr -i -a 1.2.3.4
Let us know if you have any questions.

peterz

Post by peterz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Hello, and sorry to revive an old topic..

My question has several parts, please bear with me

I have a (always growing) list of about 500 domains to blacklist.
i've tried to use the Plesk/postfix blacklist, but that is inexplicably (and woefully inadequately) limited to 128 entries, so no go here..
unfortunately, MagicSpam does not allow the *@domain.com on its blacklist

is there any way you could create a way to upload some sort of list of domains to blacklist, and make it so that it could handle large numbers of domains?

Even if that were possible, would it be much too processor-intensive on a server that receives about 10k emails/day?

Finally, do you know of any way that i could set up a domain blacklist for email?
i'm desperate enough to even consider hosting and maintaining such a list if i have to do it that way...

I just can't believe that, in this day and age, it is so difficult for a Plesk/postfix server admin to blacklist 1000 or so sender domains..
i must be missing something..

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Peter

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your post.

While we do understand your pain, it is our hope and belief that no MagicSpam customer should ever have to blacklist 500 domains. If those domains and the mail servers they use are a public nuisance, they should be blocked by MagicSpam.

Could we please ask you to verify that the mail servers IP addresses are not already on a BMS list available in MagicSpam?

You may perform lookups on IPs at this site:
http://www.linuxmagic.com/products/bms/

You will find the corresponding BMS list in MagicSpam under the "Settings" tab, in the "IP Reputation" section.

Also make sure you return the "Server Policies" to the recommended values by clicking the "Restore Recommended" button.

If you find that you are still receiving SPAM after adjusting your BMS lists and Server Policies, please let us know and we will be happy to take a look at the MagicSpam logs to better address your issue.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

peterz

Post by peterz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Dear MacgicSpam staff,

Thank you so much for your prompt response..
i tested a small sample of the spam that is getting through (about 200 or so), and it breaks down about like so:
about 40% MIPSpace-poor
about 5% PSBL (though, somehow, they get through, even though the list is 'on' in my settings)
the rest is not on any list..

In the meantime, i figured out how to get a domain blacklist for postfix, on which i now have just over 2300 domains that 'got through'

My settings are basically default except for the following:
check_dynamic_reverse_dns is OFF because much too many legitimate european mail servers are on dynamic IP's (or just badly configured)
Added the barracudacentral.org and abuseat.org lists, which do not seem to catch much of anything, but they are on because they do not seem to generate too many false positives..

Thank you, as always, for all your help!
PS: i would be happy to share with you my list of offending domains, if it is of any use to you (note that these are very clear offenders -- false ED ads and the like, they're not just advertisers i don't like)

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the update.

We are glad we could help.

You mentioned that occasionally, spam from servers that appear to be on the PSBL list get through even though the list is enabled.
It is of course possible that you are contacted by the spamming servers before MagicSpam receives the latest PSBL list update.
However, we would be happy to investigate your MagicSpam logs containing any such occurrences.
You may send logs and point out a few examples to support@magicspam.com and we'd be happy to take a closer look.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

j*z

Post by j*z » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:23 am

I would suggest Bulk Whitelisting be an options within MagicSpam -- a list YOU create. I believe most MagicSpam users would not want Facebook, Constant Contact, Delta, Moveon.org, amazonses.com, drugstrore.com to be blacklisted. I get clients saying they do password resets for various companies and don't get the email.

The thing with the MIPS-space poor list is any email recipient who is tired of receiving mail from (i.e.) Williams Sonoma may choose to mark it spam instead of requesting removal from the legitimate mailing list. So why not have an option in the control panel to whitelist all these companies that I imagine you are aware of already (that shouldn't be considered spam). It's a daunting task but whatever you could add to a whitelist would be better than nothing.

Not using the MIPS-space poor list results in a ridiculous amount of spam. So for me that is not an option.

Return to “Wishlists and Roadmaps”