MailEnable problems

There will always be opinions, both good and bad on how MagicSpam protection, rules and policies are used, and what the defaults should be. Different environments may have different needs. We try to find the perfect balance, and that is not always easy. Just remember that we have to satisfy millions of users.. not just one person.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

martinhorton

MailEnable problems

Post by martinhorton » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 pm

I read the reviews and testimonials on your product and decided to buy it for use with MailEnable. It installed no problem at all, but I can't get it to work.

I have left all the settings as defaulted but here is what happens.

After installation and enabling MagicSpam NO inbound mail arrived. I kept checking the "Statistics for Today" section but it stayed zero.

So I sent myself some test emails. Any email from accounts being hosted by MailEnable were transmitted and the count of RCPTs incremented. But when I looked at the "last 50" the ONLY items in there were mails SENT (none inbound at all). Any emails I sent FROM other accounts To accounts hosted by MailEnable never arrived and never showed up as having been rejected.

When I DISABLE MagicSpam then all inbound mail works again. In fact, I had to disable MagicSpam in order to get the confirmation email for these forums.

What can I possible have done wrong?

I will give you one more piece of possibly relevant information. My MailEnable server listens on port 25 AND on another port. I do this because some ISPs don't allow traffic across their network to servers on port 25. But obviously all outbound traffic does use the other port. So this could explain while only the outgoing emails are being logged. But if I telnet to the server on port 25 it does respond.

Any ideas what, if anything I am doing wrong, or what I can look at to fix it?

Many thanks

magicspam

Re: MailEnable problems

Post by magicspam » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

What do you get when MagicSpam is enabled and you telnet to the server on port 25? Does it show the standard MagicSpam greeting?

Also, what version of Windows are you running? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks!
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:22 am

One additional question - what version of MailEnable are you attempting to install MagicSpam with? It should be noted that MagicSpam is compatible with version 3.x and greater.

martinhorton

Post by martinhorton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks for the response. My computer has been down for a couple of days which explains the delay in responding.

The server is Windows Server 2003 (32 bit). The MailEnable version is 3.11

The response to the telnet is:

220 mail.connectinsports.com ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 0-3.11- ready at
11/13/09 01:14:11

This response is the same whether MagicSpam is enabled or not and on both ports. I'm guessing, from your question, that it should be a different response when MagicSpam is enabled. If MagicSpam isn't receiving the email that would certainly explain the behavior.

Anxiously awaiting your feedback.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:52 am

Hello Martin,

if you could please contact us directly at support@magicspam.com, we would like to escalate this issue for more in depth review with our team, possibly involving our development team to help work this out.

Thank you in advance.

magicspam

[RESOLVED] Re: MailEnable problems

Post by magicspam » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

As reported back by the development team, this issue has now been resolved.

The core of the issue was due to directory / file permissions. The server configuration was set up to propagate tight access control to any new directories created and only permitted an Administrator account to properly access the files required. MailEnable services however run under a separate account IME_SYSTEM for security purposes. By modifying the directory permissions on the installation directory to grant specific access to the IME_SYSTEM user, the problem was resolved.

Return to “Discussions on Spam Protection Policies and Default Rules”